Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Build a Bear Birthday

Today I wanted to make a card for my cousin's daughter's FIRST BIRTHDAY.  I started with an idea I found on SplitCoastStampers, and went to play.  The first one I wasn't so thrilled with, but I was getting there:
Ok so its a start, right?  I used Island Oasis DSP and embossed the blue with a Cuttlebug folder by running it through my Big Shot.  I have to say that I LOVE the Summer Mini Catalog and will be sad to see it go in two short months!  I stamped the bear from the Beary Best Friends stamp set and colored her in with Stampin' Up Watercolor Pencils, and then used some water to blend the colors.  Put a bit of Chocolate Chip Satin Ribbon on it, and there it was. 

I looked at it,  yep, there it was.  Thing is, I wasn't too thrilled with it.  I like the concept, it was getting there, but something was off and I wasn't sure what.

So I went back to SplitCoast and looked around again, pulled up my original inspiration from my favorites on there and compared notes.  For one thing,  They "did more" with the ribbon, a small piece that made a little loop.  Plus, there were brads, I love brads!  Finally, there was a border punch too. 

So back to my table I go with the first card next to me and the new ideas in my head.  I played and colored and changed some stuff.  First, I colored the bear with Stampin Write Markers instead of the watercolor pencils.  Paid more attention to lining up the balloon to where I thought it should  be (good thing paper is double sided so I could do it twice and choose the option I liked better!)  Then to play again with the Big Shot, ad my layers, the ribbon and then the brads.  Finally, I taped everything together.  Much better I think, I am sure that Emery could care less, she is more into the wrapping paper, but I like the card now and hope mom will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment